Thursday, January 30, 2014

Owl Always Love You Craft


The aftermath from a very snowy morning.
Really wishing I would have remembered the garbage cans yesterday!
It was kind of a bummer to wake up and see the snow falling fast and thick as we had a fun day planned. We had breakfast and dinner plans with a play date in between and really needed to make a trip to the grocery store and Home Depot, but when living in the Minnesota winter, sometimes plans must be forgotten. Even though we were mostly stuck inside, we made the best of it. Skyler and I spent our snow day:

Of course, watching the snow fall out our windows in the morning and the plows in the afternoon


Playing with our Valentine rice sensory bin


Trying out a new stamping set (which is getting returned...very disappointing!) I am still on the hunt to get some stamping sets for Skyler after he loved making the potato prints so much!


Going for a snowy walk around the neighborhood in the sled, searching for snow plows


 So much snow on our driveway!

Working on our fine motor skills with our feathery birds and fuzzy caterpillar

Stacking and knocking over our favorite soft blocks

It's not so bad being stuck inside all day when you get to look at that cute face!

Reading


Lots of

Books

Skyler always spreads books out like this when we read them, creating a huge fan of books. It is so cute :)

Making banana bread



And we also made these cute little owls for our shelf today.

You don't have to look around our home for long to realize that I kind of like owls. In Skyler's room, his mobile, pillows, 'piggy' bank, 'owl'phabet poster and many books feature my favorite animal. In our living room there is a favorite stuffed animal of Skyler's and many owl sculptures on our almost filled up Valentine shelf. And, of course our semi-matching winter gear with his hat and my gloves (a Christmas gift made by my mother-in-law...I am pretty lucky!!) We don't need to talk about the number of owl necklaces and coffee cups I have...

My goal was to make our shelf completely decorated for Valentine's Day, so I decided to swap out my little owl figures with some owls made by my little Valentine. We had a lot of fun making these multimedia owls and just spending time together.

To make our owls, we used two paper towel rolls and two toilet paper rolls that I cut into different lengths, foam, red paint and a paint dabber, Valentine stickers, scrapbook paper (that we used for our Valentine Kiss Canvas, I love chevron almost as much as I love owls), google eyes, and some leftover doilies from our yarn painted sun catchers.








The two tallest tubes got the heart doilies glued on upside down, three were rolled in the scrapbook paper with the top folded in to make the ears, and Skyler painted three with red paint. He also used the paint dabbers on white paper, which made the faces for the owls with doilies.

With our various supplies, we added beaks, wings, and eyes, and switched out these owls


For our homemade Valentine owls


They are a little explosion of pinks and reds - I love them!




They definitely make our Valentine themed shelf look very festive!



Joe got home early from a few days away for Army training, so we did end up keeping our dinner plans at my dad's house (Skyler had a lot of fun playing and listening to my dad's banjo!) since the weather got a lot nicer in the afternoon. It was such a great day with my little Valentine though, I just love watching him learn and grow and spending these full days playing with him. It has been almost a year since I quit my job to be a stay-at-home mama and every day I still cannot believe that I am living my dream, being able to spend my days teaching my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment