Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Handprint Wreaths

Minne-Mama is on Facebook! 'Like' us to stay updated on our fun crafts and activities!
Thank you for stopping by!

We moved into our home last January, so this is our first year decorating for the holidays. I wanted our home to feel festive while keeping in mind that we do not have to go out and buy all new decorations to do so.

One of the things I struggled with this year was a wreath for our front door. I saw many wreaths that I would love to buy, but did not feel like spending the money on one. I thought about getting materials to make a DIY wreath. Finally I remembered an art project I wanted to do with Skyler last year - making a wreath out of hand prints.

We used green, red, and white construction paper with green and red paint to make the prints. Instead of doing the prints all on the same page, I mixed and matched the colors and layered them to make the wreaths. When the wreaths were finished, I put contact paper on the front and back, and cut it close to the wreaths to keep the one on the door dry and to keep them both looking nice throughout the season. I have noticed that the green construction paper has faded somewhat in the sunlight, but it still looks great!

It took many prints to make the wreaths, but luckily baby boy loves to make hand prints. We made more prints the next day to make smaller wreaths for gifts!


We listened to Christmas music and Skyler played with a new sensory bin while I cut out the hand prints.


The finished wreaths before the contact paper.



I love seeing the wreath on our front door whenever I drive on our street. It looks so bright and festive, and it is obvious that it is made from tiny toddler hand prints! Making the wreaths was completely free with the paper, paint, and contact paper we already had and it means so much more that Skyler and I made them!

No comments:

Post a Comment